5.04.2010

Yogurt at Home

Last week I tried something I've been meaning to do for quite a while--make yogurt!  I don't know what took me so long, it was so easy to do. All you need is milk and some starter yogurt.  Directions can be found by a simple google search, but there are hardly any steps involved. There's even a whole website dedicated to it!

1. Heat milk over stove to 180 degrees
2. Cool milk to 110 degrees
3. Add yogurt and stir well
4. Retain temperature of about 110 degrees for 4-8 hours.  There are several ways to do this, such as keeping it in an oven, crock pot, or thermos.

I did this overnight, and it was so exciting to wake up the next morning to freshly made yogurt!  The longer you keep it incubating, the more tart your yogurt becomes.  After letting it thicken in the fridge a little more, I strained it to give it the consistency of greek yogurt.  Have any of you made yogurt before?  If you love eating yogurt I'd definitely give it a try, it comes out much more affordable than buying it from the grocery store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment