11.04.2009

A Lasting Wardrobe

 
One of my summer outfits. Striped top: from Loehmann's, Skirt: American Apparel, Vest: H&M, Necklace: For Me, For You by Kate Miss.
Lately I have been thinking a lot about my current wardrobe.  Over the past two years I've slowly weeded out my closet, getting rid of all the things I no longer wear, are the wrong size, or are beyond repair.  But now I am left with a near empty closet.  It was fine during the summer because when it's that hot you don't really care what you wear, just as long as its loose and comfortable.  But now that the weather is finally cooling down (except for the heat that arrived last week!), I really need to start filling up my closet with things to wear. 

My biggest problem is that my clothing budget is about $0. Even more so, I am so, so tired of wearing poorly made clothes.  I've become more aware of garment production, from sweat shop documentaries to sewing things myself, and I really just want more quality pieces that will last me a long time.  I'd also prefer to support smaller businesses, or people who genuinely care about the things they make. 

I used to shop at stores like Forever 21 and Nordstrom BP all the time.  But where are all those things now?  Not in my closet.  More often than not, I can't even remember what trendy, poly blend shirt I bought from there.  Not only is this a waste of money, but what about the environmental impact disposable clothing creates? 

Sometimes I think I'm asking for too much.  In my dream world, I'd like well made garments made from natural, organic fabrics.  I'd like them made by designers I want to support, not from sweatshops.  Oh, and I want them to be cute of course.  Am I asking for too much?  They don't even have to be organic, but it would be nice.  

I could really go on about this topic for ever, but instead I'm going to break it up into separate posts so it's not too overwhelming.  If you have any thoughts you'd like to share on this, please feel free to e-mail me at sunshinebysara AT gmail DOT com.  I'd love to hear from you!

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about fast fashion! Its a shame that it has to cost so much just for some nicely made non sweat shop produced garments. Even though I feel this way i admit there is a handful of things in my closet that ARE from f21. Their price points are just way too tempting.

    I noticed you posted some dresses that you made yourself! Jealous! I took one sewing class a few years ago and the only thing i can make is a pillow :( I wish i had the ingenuity and craftiness of you to pull off making my own clothes.

    anyway, i love this post!

    ReplyDelete